How to cook Japanese rice in a pot
Updated: Jun 30
1. rinse rice
2. put it in a pot and add water.
3. Water to Rice ratio is 1:1
1 cup rice : 1 cup water
2 cups rice : 2 cups water
3 cups rice : 3 cups water
3. soak for an hour
4. Put a lid on, bring to boil and cook for 2-3 minutes with MEDIUM HIGH heat
5. lower to MEDIUM heat and cook for 4-5 minutes
6. and then lower to LOW heat and cook for another 5-7 minutes
7. check to make sure all water has evaporated. If not, continue to cook at LOW heat one minute at a time.
If it looks like this, turn the heat off, and let it sit and steam with a lid on for 10+minutes
8. mix and serve!
for sushi, transfer rice to a bigger bowl and add Japanese rice vinegar and sugar to cooked rice, mix well and let it cool down
1 cup of rice : 1.5 tbs of vinegar & sugar
2 cups of rice : 2.5 tbs of vinegar & sugar
3 cups of rice : 3.5 tbs of vinegar & sugar